Ironically, I can’t write on my “travel” blog because I’ve been so busy…. travelling!
This year has been insane! I think I did a summary in April of where I’ve been and how many gallivants I’ve done so I think it’s time for another one. Might I just say, I’m so truly blessed to live this life and to have friends and family all over the world that I want to spend time with.
So here are some highlights and some reasons for my recent jaunts overseas and around this great country I call home, Australia:
- Training weekend in June to become a Disability Winter Sports Australia (DWA) Guide at Falls Creek. Using my snowboarding prowess to help those with disabilities experience the joy of the snow
- Sydney for a week in July to visit the family and the friends- manly ferries, drinks with friends and Kilimanjaro reunions.
- Mt Buller for a sneaky weekend in August – meant to be one day, turned into a whole weekend of snow fun!
- Great Ocean Road overnight with American friends and a few days in Melbourne showing them the best of the sites
- Another weekend at Falls Creek in July for DWA for an incredible experience of guiding a young boy with muscular dystrophy and giving him his first experience at the snow
- Sri Lanka in April for a wedding of a dear friend and some genuine R & R
- Sri Lanka AGAIN in June for a conference with my Dad
- Sydney for 2 days in May to be part of a video recording- slight rock star moment
- Overnight visit to spend time on a friends property in Point Lonsdale- olive picking and a night in the country
- My first ever trip to Northern Territory to Alice Springs, Uluru and beautiful Kata Tjuta. I’ve now covered all 7 states and territories in Australia
- As well as MANY visitors to Melbourne so lots of exploring my home town!
And now…. I’m in Darwin!
Today, I caught the red eye at 1.45am from Melbourne. My dear friend Kenny picked me up in full army kit – yay for Soldiers! Then we went to his apartment near the city. I got a snooze and woke up to beautiful blue skies, tropical warmth and a relaxing day ahead. I did do some work – it never sleeps as a freelancer…. but man did I feel relaxed in this beautiful tropical air. Swim at lunch before a beer in the afternoon and a bit more work.
Darwin Festival at night at the Mindil beach, watching the sunset and eating amazing bbq pork and salt and pepper squid! What a fantastic intro to this awesome town! City tour by night lights and 4 more days to explore!
Off to Sydney on Monday for the big Birthday bash of yours truly on Tuesday. This year is to be spent with my dear family.
Back to Melbourne thursday night and then….. off to Falls Creek for another 3 days at the snow.
The life of a traveller ain’t always easy, but man…. is it fun! I’ll keep doing it as long as I can.
If you dream it…. you can do it!