Lesley Carter is a woman after my own heart! Running a business and Travelling the world. She’s actually doing what is on the Mission Statement of this very blog… “Travelling the world and writing all about it.”
This has to be one of the most inspiring, and, close to my heart interviews I’ve done in a long while. I very much look up to Lesley of Bucket List Publications as she is LIVING THE DREAM. She’s writing this incredible blog which is inspiring 1000’s of people to travel, she’s balancing work/life/family/passions and she’s having some of the most incredible adventures.
I will let this lovely lady speak for herself, but if you do one thing today – sign up to http://www.bucketlistpublications.com/
- Name; Lesley Carter
- Occupation/ business: Bucket List Publications Online Magazine and Blog
- Position: Owner/Editor/Writer
- Country of Residence: USA
- email/contact/ website
- Twitter handle/ Facebook/ Linkedin/ YouTube page
- Give us your elevator pitch. What does your business do?
Following my dreams of traveling and experiencing life to the fullest, I created Bucket List Publications, a blog and online magazine that explores the endless possibilities of the world through stories of travel, adventure, and new experiences.
- Why did you start your business?
Bucket List Publications began 18 months ago.
- What’s your passion?
Experiencing new countries, cultures, and adventures and living every day like it’s my last is what my life is all about.
- What do you love most about running your business?
I’m able to have a family, raise my beautiful daughter, spend time with my husband, and explore the world all at my own leisure. It doesn’t get any better than that!
- What are three difficulties you face in running your business?
- Maintaining financial stability
- Staying on top of social media and marketing (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook… the list goes on)
- Keeping up the community that I’ve build in the blogging world (With hundreds of comments daily, it can be difficult to respond and create a relationship with everyone)
- What are three pieces of advice you would give to someone starting their own business?
- The more unrealistic you are with your dreams and goals, the more you are able to achieve.
- Creating lasting relationships/partnerships is key (Not only with others in your industry but with clients as well)
- Social media is the difference between small business and big business. Know your market and get your ideas out there.
- Tell us, with an anecdote, why your business has changed your life?
Bucket List Publications has given me the ability to fly! Whether it be through travel, exploration, soaring to new business heights, adventure flight such as skydiving, piloting a helicopter, jet pack, or airplane, or base jumping, I’ve been given wings! I can now see the world from a bird’s eye view and it is beautiful.
- How do you manage a work/life balance?
I follow a schedule as if I was actually going to work daily. There is scheduled time for play, work, travel, adventure, and leisure. I leave wiggle room but focus on what’s important. With a travel/adventure blog, work and pleasure are already intertwined.
- What movie most inspires you in running your business?
The Bucket List (obviously)
- The best book to read before starting a business or when running a business?
I really feel like this one depends on the business, but Business Model You by Time Clark is an inspirational starting point.
- Your favourite inspiration/ motivation/ business quote?
“The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- The 4 words that best describe your business?
Dream Live Create Share