Strawberry Communications owner is as sweet as its name suggests. Johanna Baker-Dowdell is a business owner and a mum. She enjoys the freedom of running her own business from home and take care of her young family.
Johanna has also set up a business with a friend, Stanley & Nelson making delicious cupcakes which are now in high demaand.
Learn more about Joh and why she generates such amazing publicity and loves her business.
- Name; Johanna Baker-Dowdell
- Occupation/ business: Strawberry Communications and Stanley & Nelson
- Position: Owner and Co-Owner
- Country of Residence; Australia
- email/contact/ website: Johanna@strawberrycommunications.com.au, http://www.strawberrycommunications.com.au
Twitter handle/ Facebook/ Linkedin/ YouTube page: @JohannaBD @stanleynnelson, https://www.facebook.com/StrawberryCommunications https://www.facebook.com/stanleyandnelson, au.linkedin.com/in/johannabakerdowdell and http://www.youtube.com/user/JohannaBD
- Give us your elevator pitch. What does your business do? Strawberry Communications generates amazing publicity!
- Why did you start your business? I wanted to find something I could do from home with a newborn that used my existing writing and PR skills so I started freelancing and soon it grew into a business.
- What’s your passion? Writing, travel and sampling amazing food. When I can combine the three I’m in heaven!
- What do you love most about running your business? Being my own boss means I can work from my favourite café if I want to, setting my own hours around my family commitments and being picky about who I’d like to work with.
- What are three difficulties you face in running your business?
- Cash flow
- Time management
- Switching off
- What are three pieces of advice you would give to someone starting their own business?
- Don’t wait until the website/business cards/pitch is perfect, just start and make changes as you go, because if you wait for perfection you will never do anything.
- Factor in time for you every day, even if it’s just enough time for a drink in peace, because you don’t want to lose who you are amongst the busy-ness of running a business and a life.
- Have fun doing what you do because it will consume you!
- Tell us, with an anecdote, why your business has changed your life? I didn’t always see myself as a business owner, or even a mother, but I became both when I turned 31 and now can’t see myself any other way. After freelancing for several months I organised day care for my eight-month-old son to attend a business mums networking event and while there speaking with other mums in business it dawned on me that I was actually running a business. I stopped at the Department of Fair Trading on the way home and registered my business name (the form had been filled in and sitting in my handbag for months).
- How do you manage a work/life balance? Sometimes not well, but I make my business work around my family which means I walk my son to and from school every day and work during school hours and then again after my sons have gone to bed if I need to. I make sure I have time at the weekend, particularly Sundays, to spend quality time together.
- What movie most inspires you in running your business? Up in the Air was a good reminder for me about what is important in my life.
- The best book to read before starting a business or when running a business? The upcoming Business & Baby on Board business mum bible, of course!
- Your favourite inspiration/ motivation/ business quote? “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” ~ Albert Eistein
- The 4 words that best describe your business? Creative, storyteller, broadcaster, connector.